Monday, April 25, 2011

New Literacies Perspective and Virtual Showcase (Final Blog Posting!)

       The new literacies perspective has no definitive definition (I think that is why you asked us to write about it).  Leu, Kinzer, Coiro, and Cammack (2004) define new literacies as "the skills, strategies, and dispositions necessary to successfully use and adapt to the rapidly changing information and communcation technologies and contexts that continously emerge....and influence all areas of our personal and professional lives...[they] allow us to use the Internet and other ICTs to identify important questions, locate information, critically evaluate the usefulness of that information, synthesize information to answer those questions, and then communicate the answer to others (p. 1572).  They also go on to talk about how new literacies are  "deictic" (Leu, Kinzer, Coiro, & Cammack, 2004, p. 1589). I would have to agree with their definition, however, it is difficult to define new literacies because they are always changing.
Leu, Kinzer, Coiro, and Cammack (2004) believe the internet is vital to new literacies.  They believe that new literacies "are central to the use of information and the acquisition of knowledge" (Leu, Kinzer, Coiro, and Cammack, 2004, p. 1571).  Technology tools that enhance new literacy skills include, but are not limited to gaming software, video technologies, communication over the internet, search engines, web logs (blogs), word processors, e-mail, presentation software, instant messaging, bulletin boards, and webpages.  There are many theories that can help explain new literacies such as critical, multiliteracies, and media literacies.

      The implications for new literacies in my future classroom teaching will vary depending on when I am in a classroom of my own.  I believe the internet will grow to be a valuable assesst during most of the day within any given classroom.  I intend on using all of the above softwares mentioned (if and when possible).  Here are some of my ideas.  I would also like to have a classroom webpage to keep communication ongoing with my students' parents. I could use blogs with my students to discuss various topics. The internet can allow students choice on various topics to research about.  I can also utilize the internet to provide students with the ability to take more responsibility for their own learning.  I could also use the internet to bring about multiculturalism (ex: communication with other classrooms inside and outside of our global community). The internet is a valuable resource that can help me teach my future students how to critically evaluate ideas they read (both online and offline texts).  Allowing students to utilize the internet in school will help them in their future, as many jobs now require internet skills.  I would use digital stories to allow my students to teach each other and promote diversity, as well as tolerance.  The internet would also be a great way to allow my students to share their work globally; this means they are more likely to take pride in their work and do assignments to their best capacity. With the internet changing so rapidly, the students as well as myself will all have different expertise that we can learn from each other, therefore, everyone will be able to teach each other (including myself).
The possibilities are limitless in the sense that new technologies will continue to emerge that can be implemented within any given classroom.

       The chats were intense!  There was a lot going on that needed to be followed (I never had so many windows opened in my life!).  I talked to pretty much everyone for a bit (almost missed a few, but I did view everyone's projects).  I asked a lot of questions in regard to the rationale behind their final projects (ex: what inspired Juliette to write about the people she did on her blog). I even exchanged and got some resources to utilize on my own (ex: a lesson plan format from Kallie and a photo software from Annie and Jenna). It was really cool to see everyone's reasonings and different ideas. Sarah and I had a lot of specific questions asked on ours (ex: Have you implemented RTI, do you think these strategies would be helpful for general education kids).  I had fun answering questions. This was a good way to end the semester. I cannot believe its over, but I now have tons of resources to help me in my future teaching career. THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment